Sunday, January 7, 2018

Letters in Books: The Rosie Project



The Rosie Project (2014) was the first book chosen at EOI Santiago to open our staff book club this year. It is the debut novel of Graeme Simsion, an Australian IT consultant turned writer. And yes, as you can probably guess from its cover, it is a romantic comedy. 

Don Tillman is a socially naive genetics professor. However, he remains unaware that he is somewhere in the autistic spectrum; he fits the profile for Asperger's. Since he has had little luck in love, he hits on the idea of "The Wife Project", an alternative to "the traditional dating paradigm" (p.3).
"I've sequenced the questions for maximum speed of elimination", I explained. "I believe I can eliminate most women in less than forty seconds. Then you can choose the topic of discussion for the remaining time" (p.40)
We then follow the dating mishaps of the blissfully unaware Don, as well as a depiction of the inflexible and obsessive nature of the autist.

"Dear Don,
... you may not realize what a wonderful companion and support you have been to me.
(...)
I know you don't need any money, and my children do, but I have left you a small sum. I would be pleased it for something irrational.
(...)
It took me less than ten seconds to think of an irrational purchase: in fact I allowed myself only that amount of time to ensure that the decision was not affected by any logical thought process"
(p.187)

For those who, like me, have a vague idea of Asperger’s syndrome and its foibles, The Rosie Project could serve as a gentle and funny introduction. 
"Fault! Asperger's isn't a fault. It's a variant. It's potentially a major advantage. Asperger's syndrome is associated with organization, focus, innovative thinking and rational detachment" (p.12)

Don may battle to understand and empathize with others and his behavior is funny and often incomprehensible, but through it all, we can't help thinking that we are not so different after all and that we really must embrace the differently abled.

A warm-hearted, well-pitched, enjoyable read.
"... my assessment of what would make me happy was totally incorrect (...) And it dawned on me that I had not designed the questionnaire to find a woman I could accept, but to find someone who might accept me" (p.270)


To find out more:
  • Read an excerpt of The Rosie Project here.

No comments:

Post a Comment